2.07.2009

My Other Babies.........

I had always heard that animals have certain intuitions, like knowing there is a storm coming, some life changes or that something is wrong. Our two dogs Rascal (Beagle/Bluetick) and Pixie (Chihuahua) have been my babies for the past few years. Tom rescued Rascal from the Humane Society in September of 2004 for my birthday and I went and bought (however seeing the conditions she was living in - rescued) Pixie just shortly after we got married in October of 2005. Rascal turned 5 in December and Pixie turned 3 in August. Needless to say these two dogs are SPOILED. They get our every attention when we are home and we hear (or see) about it if they feel that they aren't getting enough. Well, I think they know that our attention is soon to be split even further. I truly think they know that we are having a baby. They have become much more needy and affectionate. Lately my laptop has been at the kitchen table. As I sit working at it, Pixie continually whines until I let her jump up and cuddle on my lap. She has never really liked to sit on my lap at the table for very long but lately she just sits with me as long as I sit there. Then Rascal gets jealous and wants the attention as well. He's too big for my lap but that doesn't stop him from trying. He has also become my little protective shadow. He is typically within a few steps from where I am. Currently he is sleeping on the floor next to me. As I get ready in the morning or change after work, he either lays at the end of the bed where he can see me and the door or he lays at the door in the bathroom as I shower or stand at the mirror. They are both pretty good with kids. Rascal can't get enough of them. He wants to be where they are at all times. With my niece and nephew he becomes their shadows. Because of his breed, he has a natural tendency to herd. So when Ayla or Ethan starts to head in a direction that he thinks may be wrong or dangerous he nudges at them to go the other direction. It is actually pretty cute!! Pixie seems a little leery of babies at first but then warms up. She is a little disturbed by the attention that they get rather than her but she then figures out how to cuddle up right next to the person holding the baby and seems to do just fine. Now that Ayla is getting more interactive, Pixie has become quite fond of her. We are lucky that we have two dogs are super friendly - regardless of the person's size. Looks like we will have a couple extra protectors in the house when Baby Bean comes. Here are some pics of our doggies.
typical night of watching TV
Rascal
Pixie
Sibling Love











No comments: