6.07.2009

Sand in the City

This weekend was the 5th annual Sand in the City Competition benefitting the Nebraska Children's Home Society. This is a sand sculpting contest to raise awareness of NCHS's programs, which include adoption services and education, unplanned pregnancy services, medically fragile foster care and child care, while raising funds to support their efforts. Corporate teams work with professional sand sculptors from throughout the nation and local architects to build incredible sand sculptures, using more than 350 tons of sand! I agreed to volunteer again this year as one of the local architects. It was a little different this year in that I was 8 months pregnant playing in the sand. I was definitely restricted as to what I could and couldn't do but it was still extremely rewarding. I asked Adam Andrews to team up with me this year as additional help to balance out where I wasn't able to participate. We were paired with a new team from ConAgra. They were awesome to work with and extremely motivated. We had a great time and our cherry on top was that Adam and I were awarded the "Most Valuable Designer" award. This is an amazing honor because we were considered the most valuable by the judges and master sculptors out of a total of 17 teams. Last I had heard the event had raised approximately $90,000 and had over 10,000 people walk through. Here are pictures of the event!!

the "Most Valuable Designers"
Me and Adam Andrews
For more information visit their site. www.sandinthecityomaha.com

No comments: